I have installed openSUSE-11.3 in my system.But the problem is when the load of the system is little bit higher the getting black and the performance of the system is totally decreasing and the at that time the system is also going to struck.
today I upgraded my 11.2 system to KDE 4.4.2. Basically this works. However there are two questions I was not yet able to find a useful answer for:
- 4.4.2 offer strigi desktop search. The index process started and probably did its job but how can I start a search. I found a hint that dolphin can be used, but here I do not find any Menu entry that opens a search dialog (except for the standard file search window). What I found was settings->Toolbar and there I could add a search bar into dolphins toolbar. However this search bar only appears in this one window, if I close it and open a new dolphin window it will not appear again (probably a bug). Any other way to start a strigi based desktop search?
- Again in dolphin I sometimes see strange folder icons for the folders in my home directory. Basically this is the default folder icon and after waiting a while all the icons change in that inside the regular folder icon a gray rectangle is displayed a the lower left side. No idea what this is good for. I goes away if I reload the folders content and then again after a while those strange icon appears again. It does however not appear for folders in eg /tmp only for /home which is on my system a NFS mounted filesystem.
I am having a hard time getting repositories to install and even some applications. Do I use yast to install RPM's aned what about if the file is a zipped up tar file? If you are familiar with VMware, can we play cd's, rip them and burn and so on?
I set HTTP proxy: http://10.*.*.*:6666/ choose Use the same proxy for all protocols fill my user name and password An error occurred when testing:
* Port number too large: ****** (password number) curl: (3) Port number too large: ****** (password number) * About to connect() to proxy 10.*.*.* port 6666 (#0) * Trying 10.*.*.*... % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
i have noticed that if vista is not the active partition, hybernate does not work. it just goes black and then back to the user icon screen to log back in. another "slight" problem was that i was not able to apply a service pack. after restoring vistas dominance i was able to install the pack. is there any other work arounds for hybernate? even though you might not be interested in cleaning up after microsoft.
I am having some trouble getting a VNC session to a new OpenSuse 11.2 32bit machine I have just installed.Fresh off the DVD, tried under KDE4 and Gnome with the same result (each time a fresh install).In YAST, I enabled remote administration, open the firewall ports, and then try and connect from remote client (in this case I have tried RealVNC from windows, and krdc from a Suse 10.x client and via HTTP) all result in the same blank black screen (http does get an X cursor echoed on the screen)
Suse11.4 (Celadon) Kernel Linux 220.127.116.11-0.5-desktop Gnome 2.32.1
I've just followed the instructions at SDB:Skype - openSUSE again, as before. The install didn't start automatically when the download finished so I used package installer. Skype appears to start normally, before promptly closing itself after about 3-5 seconds. When running it from terminal, I get the message:
When I run the YAST Online Update OR Software Management OR Zypper, the Updates (or install of new software) fails when the download of the Delta RPM reaches 98%. I have added ALL of the community repositories and have Imported the appropriate certificates. When watching the DeltaRPM or normal RPM download, it starts the download at approx. 4Mbs/sec until it reaches 98% of file downloaded. Then, the speed drops to 0 B/sec and the file download fails. This then prompts a Retry which again fails when it reaches approx 98% download.
It does not matter if I am doing an Online Update, Doing a Software Management (to install new software) or using Zypper in a Terminal session, the result is the same. I have even gone so far as to connect the machine DIRECTLY to the internet, bypassing all firewalls so as to ensure it is not a firewall issue.
When I run the YAST Online Update OR Software Management OR Zypper, the Updates (or install of new software) fails when the download of the Delta RPM reaches 98%. I have added ALL of the community repositories and have Imported the appropriate certificates. When watching the DeltaRPM or normal RPM download, it starts the download at approx. 4Mbs/sec until it reaches 98% of file downloaded. Then, the speed drops to 0 B/sec and the file download fails. This then prompts a Retry which again fails when it reaches approx 98% download. It does not matter if I am doing an Online Update, Doing a Software Management (to install new software) or using Zypper in a Terminal session, the result is the same.
I have even gone so far as to connect the machine DIRECTLY to the internet, bypassing all firewalls so as to ensure it is not a firewall
I'm a new linux user and I'm trying to install some files from a .tar.gz archive. I have successfully created a repository in a directory using createrepo, but I can't figure out how to add am installation source to YaST.How is it done in 11.2?
Recently, I downloaded openSUSE 11.2 DVD.I read here (Partitioning/Install Guide) that GRUB may not dual boot correctly with windows: It should be said that grub does not always get the settings to boot Windows quite correct and you may later have to adjust the /boot/grub/menu.lst file in your Linux installation
Is it true also for the openSuse version (11.2) that I downloaded? Please refer to Windows 7.
My laptop is a Medion MD 96970 (bought at Aldi in September 2008) with
- graphic card nVidia GeForce 9300M G - processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz - 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller - 3GB RAM and 300 GB memory
1) Originally, my laptop came with Windows Vista. Then I got a SUSE linux 11.0 CD, let it make a partition and installed Suse 11.0. Since Suse11.0 isn't updated any further I would like to change to Suse 11.3 (or whatever is newer). How should I proceed? (I can't find my old Windows Vista CDs and would like to KEEP THE PARTITION, thus formating all isn't an option)
2) In order to make a backup I bought a portable hard drive from iomega (USB 2.0). Then I noticed that it is formated in NTFS. SUSE 11.0 doesn't seem to like it --- what should I do? Can I reformat it somehow?
3) Suse 11.0 doesn't like my sound card. Thus I couldn't Skype or listen to music --- do you know if this problem is solved under Suse 11.3?
Kwallet is off. Then I install a wireless device under WPA. Wired icon starts to change to wireless icon, but does not and goes back to wired icon. Hovering pointer over wired icon shows wired device installed as well as wireless device. How do I keep the wireless icon in place after installing WPA to wireless device?
I have a little problem here with my fedora 13.After starting this morning, i get a black screen with the busy icon attached to my mouse. But no Login Screen appear.by pressing ctrl+alt+backslash, xorg stops and a new instance seems to start with the same behaviour as the old one.
I have just created an 11.3 64 bit image using susestudio. All seems well but would like to customize the desktop via my script that I have added. My question is how do I remove the home directory and the trash icon from the desktop? Or better said what is the path to removing the symbolic link, I cannot find the symbolic links in the desktop directory. It is empty, I do not see any symbolic links under /home/test/Desktop?
Just installed and started to use the suse11.4 two weeks ago when my Win7 broke down. Now I got a new Win7 recovery disc from my laptop manufacturer, and want to install a Win7 accompanying with the suse11.4.
My question is how to clear up a free space in HD to install win7? Currently, I have 3 partitions that are sda1, sda2 and sda3 with space 2G(swap), 20G(root) and 270G(home) respectively. I want to free up half space from sda3 to install Win7, how to do it without delete the data on it? One weird thing is that my HD totally is 320G, but when I installed SUSE, only 300G was usable and the other 20G is missing until now. The fdisk -l command info. is showed below:
...../etc/init.d/before.local...System Console Stolen at line: 266 This line of red warning consistently appears immediately after something that ended with /etc/init.d/before.localThis is during the boot.Have anyone see it before ?It appears both in kernel versions:18.104.22.168-0.5-desktop22.214.171.124-1.2-desktop
I am Running on OPENSUSE 11.3, Apache 2.2.15 with PHP 5 and MYSQL 5. I have done complete configuration as written but still my PHP pages are being downloaded instead of being parse by Apache. What is wrong with my Configuration. For Reference i am mentioning my httpd.conf and php5.conf
Most of the issues involve disconnect after a login and mouse settings. It does work fine for me, but after a few days of being up and using vnc on and off it will still connect, but show the black/white mesh screen with the big black X cursor, then if I wait 30 seconds it disconnects.
Heres the log when this problem starts happening
If I restart the computer it works again, however this message is still shown in the logs:
So I guess the above message is trivial to the problem? The thing is, I am not using KDE4, I installed 3.5, and in sysconfig my display manager is set to KDM not KDM4.
I'm using VNC through remote administration, multiple users will be accessing this from the network and need to get to the login screen.
I've installed Office 2007 under wine, and would like to add launchers for Word, Excel, etc to the Unity launcher bar.
So, I've created a launcher on the Desktop that will run Word with wine. I've changed the icon to the Word Icon and everything works great from the desktop. If I drag that launcher to the Unity bar, it adds it, but changes the icon to the springboard default icon that new launchers use. Please see attached picture.
As a side note, I am really starting to like Unity (puts on flamesuit), but it seems very easy to break the install of 11.04. I've had to reinstall 4 times now.
It always shows a same icon, for every application which shows message tray icon. I just did some shell extension work after fresh installation of F15, nothing related on message tray. Don't know how to change it back.Dose anyone knows how to customize message tray icon for gnome-shell?